Gun Hub Forums banner

ANYBODY Have an EXTRA 1911 GM Frame For Sale??

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Doughboy 
#1 ·
Friends,

I'm about 95% sure that I'm about to assemble a Colt's GM from a "parts kit" , in .38 Super for the trip South.

IF you have a stripped 1911 frame, that is surplus to your needs, I would be a buyer.= Please PM me, WITH PHOTOS & REQUESTED PRICE.

yours, sw

#3 · (Edited)
csmkersh,

Sounds like a GOOD PLAN to me, though I would prefer an ALL Colt's "parts gun" to an RIA.
ADDENDA. When RUNNER RUNNER left the business up in north TX, I was awaiting production of a "1824 TEXAS FLAG" GM frame to be made with SN: 24FEB1836.

yours, sw

#5 ·
The 1911 9 mm/.38 Super ejector is different (wider) from the .45. I knew a couple guys who ran one upper or the other on the .45 frame and the ejector worked OK, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

#7 · (Edited)
I was going by a foggy memory of realizing that the ejector on the 9/.38Super looked different.......how is something of a question now that I think carefully. The thought was that the smaller case head need a wider ejector to reliably hit the case head. I seem to recall reading something about that in print, but I've found lots & lots of errors in allegedly "technical writing".

Looking at page 25 of the 1984 Colt parts list......the ejector part numbers are as follows:
.45-51040
.38 Super-50215
9 mm-51044

Firing pins are also different with a smaller diameter hole in the breech face and the pin has a smaller OD at the tip for the 9 & .38.

However, since the slide stops are the same [Added edit-further checking of the 1984 parts lists shows 3 different firing pin stops (plus nickel versions) without noting why the #1 and #2 stops exist.], perhaps the difference isn't width. Or the slide stops are cut so it doesn't have to be different. Functionally, the 9 & .38 Super case heads would seem close enough for either ejector to work on both.

Where's Charlie when you need him?

#8 ·
Borrowed from Another forum

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-co... used in,which could cause headspace problems.

The .38 Super case is semi-rimmed while the 9mm case is "rimless." This is because the .38 Super was based on the older, lower pressure .38 ACP cartridge. This worked fine in earlier pistols for the .38 ACP, but the .38 Super was used in the Colt 1911 pistol and the semi-rimmed cartridge wasn't well supported by the 1911's feed ramp which could cause headspace problems. Modern .38 Super pistols headspace on the case mouth instead of the semi-rim at the base, reducing issues with the cartridge's headspacing.

#9 · (Edited)
OK, checking the Brownells catalog for curent Colt factory parts, the 9 mm ejector is listed as SP51044B, similar to what was listed above (B=blue?). The part listed for both .45 and .38 Super is SP57366, which suggests some modification to previous standards since the numbers themselves are different. Checking all the custom parts makers (Ed Brown, Wilson etc) who make ejectors all list the 9/.38 Super ejectors as separate parts with different stock numbers from the .45. Illustrations of a couple firing pin stops for .38/9 mm (different firing pin holes for the smaller pins too) show a markedly different ejector cut from .45.

I dropped a 0.439 in barrel alignment spud into a WWII GI slide (centers on firing pin hole) and looked at how much spud showed in the ejector groove. Not much. A slice maybe 0.070+ by 0.030 in. The difference in book radius between a .38 Super case rim and the spud is 0.203 vs 0.219. Slice gets smaller.

If you're gonna do this, I'd suggest using a current Colt ejector (or one of the specialty brands) and make sure the slide clears it.

Added edit: slide stops apparently are also different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.