Gun Hub Forums banner

Looking to buy a handgun

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Doughboy 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a bit new to all of the details of guns and
I would like your help picking one out.
I am leaning towards a 9mm but it doesn’t have to be.
I was very interested in the Glock 26 because of the other magazine options, particularly the 50 rd drum.
I seem to like, Walther, FN, and HK. I am going to want to put a laser on it and like the option of larger magazines.
Any ideas or thoughts?

#4 ·
JPiroch8, you have to understand that a question like yours creates a "where to begin?" atmosphere on a forum like this.

You were right to ask some folks who have experience in these matters (as opposed to relying on the salesman at the gun shop or the "experts" on YouTube) but the fact is most people who ask this question don't like the answer.

If you know next to nothing about guns a high-capacity centerfire semi-auto is not the best place to start. Although the Glock is a fairly mainstream gun and 9mm is the most mainstream of calibers they're not the best tools for a learner. The Glock's trigger can be unforgiving and even the moderate recoil of the 9mm can complicate the process of learning to shoot well, with a good sight picture, trigger pull, and follow-through.

The correct answer to your question is probably to get a .22 handgun, either revolver or semi-auto, and get some training in how to use it. A .22 won't break the bank, is something you'll always love to shoot, is (relatively) cheap to feed, is easy to control, and is something you can start your kids on if/when you have them. If you decide you want to move up to something more substantial later on you'll be doing so with some background knowledge, a little skill, and a better idea of what's best suited to your needs. Plus, you'll always be glad you have a .22.

If you want specific firearm to consider, I'd suggest the Ruger Mark IV in any of it's various configurations. There's a great variety of .22's and any of the major manufacturers would be safe bets, but when we teach beginners at my club we usually use Rugers.

Best of luck to you.

#5 · (Edited)
What Captain Gyro said.

One of the first things you need to do is get some hands on (gonna be a problem right now) training about how to safely use firearms. On line training isn't gonna hack it. Nor is the sales person showing you what the various parts do. If they know.

In addition, for someone new to firearms, a Glock isn't a real good choice. They lead the known universe in negligent discharges. Frequently causing personal injury. Largely because folks didn't get the appropriate training, but not entirely. As of about 2006, the DC police department had averaged 1 negligent discharge per month FOR 14 YEARS!

Nor, is a sub compact firearm the best choice for a newbie. Full size firearms (unless you have small hands) generally are much easier to use and don't require as frequent replacement of common wear parts like recoil springs. Bet the sales person didn't mention that.

#6 ·
Hello, I am a bit new to all of the details of guns and
I would like your help picking one out.
I am leaning towards a 9mm but it doesn't have to be.
I was very interested in the Glock 26 because of the other magazine options, particularly the 50 rd drum.
I seem to like, Walther, FN, and HK. I am going to want to put a laser on it and like the option of larger magazines.
Any ideas or thoughts?
JPiroch8,

FIRST I heartily AGREE with my veteran compatriots on this forum. - YOU NEED TRAINING.
Actually I would go further & say: YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL TRAINING from a KNOWLEDGABLE person.
(MOST new shooters, including people who have NEVER even held a firearm, will need only about 6-8 hours to learn to clean, maintain & fire a handgun SAFELY. = When I was on the faculty of NCTRPA, our local/regional police academy, we had MANY new recruits who had NEVER even touched a firearm of any sort. = Generally by the end of RANGE DAY 1, about 75% will have qualified with their new revolver/pistol. By Friday Noon of RANGE WEEK, everybody always qualified, each cycle.)

I am NOT a fan of .22 pistols/revolvers, so IF I was offering you advice on a first handgun, it would be either a .38SPL or .357MAG revolver by COLT, S&W or RUGER.
OR
A single action/double action 9mm SEMI-AUTO pistol by a reputable maker.
(My TISAS ZIGANA K, made in Turkey, is a QUALITY "clone" of an over 700.oo , Israeli-made, IMI JERICHO & costs less than 300.oo. = The Zigana K is at least as safe as a Colt, S&W or Ruger revolver & my new "K" is NOW my Every Day Carry/concealed carry handgun.)

BEST WISHES on becoming a NEW forum member of the BEST FORUM on the www & joining the ranks of those who own & responsibly used firearms..

yours, sw

#11 ·
Special Ed,

Perhaps he/she was a LEFTIST, who came here hoping to get "advice" that the OP could use AGAINST gun-owners/shooters?? ====> IF that was the OP's aim, it was a small loss that he/she isn't here.

Inasmuch as he/she got sound advice from KNOWLEDGEABLE members, perhaps "that was the end of that"??

Just for the record, I can see NO good/practical use for a 50 round mag for a pistol, just as I regarded the "bump stock" as EXPENSIVE junk & a waste of ammo..

yours, sw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.