Gun Hub Forums banner

What do you think of www.ammunitionstore.com?

26K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Whity4d 
#1 ·
how is there service? and has anyone used any ammo from Maine Cart Co. ?

#4 ·
The Ammo Store is great. They are located in Canton, OH. Its about a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh, PA and I always drive out with a buddy and pick up 2 or 3 cans of 50 bmg. The prices are pretty good and they will do anything to make you happy. Good poeple and a up and coming supplier. Plus its about 5 miles from Pats Reloading. Good day trip to stock up on ammo and components.

Terry

#6 ·
I second that their shipping can be a bit high... When I ordered a bunch of ammo from them last year, I had to tell them the catalog #, the ammo type, AND the price... Seems kinda silly for the customer to have to do that.. They really need a shoping cart...
Plus, they did mess up slightly and send some .45 ACP instead of .45 long colt, but they did correct it easily enough, so I wasn't bent out of shape over it.

#7 ·
Another place to compare is http://www.ammoman.com

As far as Maine ammo......The only thing I can say is if it is 50bmg you should not use it in anything other than a M2 full-auto. It is loaded too hot for bolt actions and some have said not to use it in semi-autos either. Other caliber/cartridges I cannot comment on either way.

#8 ·
divernhunter said:
if it is 50bmg you should not use it in anything other than a M2 full-auto. It is loaded too hot for bolt actions .
Too hot for bolt actions? I dont understand how any ammo could be loaded too hot for a bolt action, but be safe to shoot in a semi or fully automatic gun. I have heard before about some ammo being too hot for certain autos, because it would cause them to cycle too hard and risk breaking parts or at least premature wear. And automatics may have less chamber support, and apply a lot more stress to the brass when feeding.

But AFAIK a bolt action is the strongest way to go, so how could ammo be too hot for a bolt action? I understand that ammo could be too hot period, that is, loaded to unsafe pressure levels; but if that was the case the ammo could cause problems in any rifle/machine gun.

I just dont understand what you mean by this comment, so I guess that either you misspoke/mistyped, or I am missing some key info.

#9 ·
I did not mis-type or anything. Ammo loaded for machine-guns is hotter than other ammo. Actuallty that is the same for other cartridges. I have some 303brit that is delinked machine gun ammo and it is very hot in my bolt guns. To be honest with you I am not sure about the whys etc. From what I understand it has something to do withthe case being extracted(partly) before the bullet leaves the barrel.I do know that full-auto brass is expanded much more toward the base than semi or bolt fired brass. I had 6000+rounds of 5.56 full auto brass and some of it could not be resizeddue to that.The same thing has happened with some 50bmg I have. Others report the same findings.
The bolt guns confine all the energy(gas expansion) to the chamber and the machinegun does not.

It does seem hard to believe. But it is true. Have had thig happen with other delinked ammo also. For more info on the 50 stuff go to the biggerhammer board. They can inform you with the details better than I can.

#16 · (Edited)
Ammo loaded for machine-guns is hotter than other ammo.
I've got several US military manuals on MGs and their ammunition and find no documentation for that in US practice. Where is your documentation? The Brits, maybe. Due to so design features of some of their GPMGs.

.I do know that full-auto brass is expanded much more toward the base than semi or bolt fired brass. I had 6000+rounds of 5.56 full auto brass and some of it could not be resizeddue to that.The same thing has happened with some 50bmg I have.
This has a lot more to do with the generous chamber specifications for machine guns and nothing to do with pressure. Chambers in military arms are generally more generous than those of sporting arms so they can function despite dust, mud, rain, high temperatures and other inclement conditions. The chambers of sustained fire weapons tend to be even more generous since accuracy-within generous limits- is actually not as important as functional reliability and no one cares about the condition of the brass.

#12 ·
divernhunter said:
I I have some 303brit that is delinked machine gun ammo and it is very hot in my bolt guns. To be honest with you I am not sure about the whys etc.
Well, I have seen specs for some US military ammo, like .30 M2 Ball, or M80 ball, and the specs listed did not mention that the spec was for machine guns only, or bolt action or semi auto rifles only. Neither is there more than one spec (in use at the same time) for ball ammo in each caliber.

30-06 had an M1 spec that was changed to a newer M2 spec between the wars, but they didnt just change the spec for machine gun ammo, the same ammo was linked for MGs and packed in garand clips. In the case of 5.56, the old ball spec was M193, and the newer spec is M855. But the M855, while designed to make the SAW more effective, is also issued for the M16 rifle and M4 carbine. The only M193 still issued is specifically for older M16s remaining in inventory with slower twist barrels that will not stabalize the 62 grain bullets that M855 is loaded with.

Also, my buddy has an AR50. He has never fired anything other than machine gun ammo from it AFAIK. I bought some at the gunshow and had to pull it out of the links before we could shoot it. Never noticed any problems nor any precautionary warnings about MG ammo from Armalite or anyone else.

I do know that full-auto brass is expanded much more toward the base than semi or bolt fired brass. I had 6000+rounds of 5.56 full auto brass and some of it could not be resizeddue to that.The same thing has happened with some 50bmg I have.
Having the brass expand more when fired from a full auto doesnt indicate a higher pressure;
I do know that full-auto brass is expanded much more toward the base than semi or bolt fired brass
The bolt guns confine all the energy(gas expansion) to the chamber and the machinegun does not.
That makes sense; I imagine the expanded cases are due to pressure remaining in the chamber when the cartridge begins to be extracted in the full auto. The logical conclusion to this is that the brass gets less support, and therefore is subject to greater stress in a semi or full auto than in a bolt action. In which case, the bolt action would be able to handle higher pressures than the auto, because after a certain point the cases would fail in the auto due to the lack of support before the end of the pressure cycle. Just like those Glock KB!s that are discussed on The Gun Zone forum all the time. So are you cant be basing your theory that MG ammo is loaded hotter than other ammo on the fact that the cases are stretched more, since you acknowledge that this is due to the way the MG works, not the properties of the ammo.

I have some 303brit that is delinked machine gun ammo and it is very hot in my bolt guns.
Ahh, now that sounds like potential evidence. What other .303 ammo are you comparing the delinked machine gun ammo to? Did you chrono the delinked machine gun ammo and compare it to the other ammo? Of course any military ammo would be different from civilian ammo; I imagine if you are comparing the surplus stuff to new production civilian ammo then the new stuff is loaded real light because the manufacturers dont want to risk blowing up the almost hundred year old guns that it will probably be fired in, whereas the surplus ammo was designed to be full power and be fired from guns that were new, or at least had been inspected periodically by an armorer.

Also, though the US doesnt appear to make machine gun specific ammo, European countries may do so. I have also heard that .308 ammo that was made in countries that used HK type (recoil operated) rifles used different powder, with different recoil characteristics, than the .308 ammo made in countries that used gas guns, like the FAL or M14. That doesnt mean it the ammo was more powerful, higher pressure, or higher velocity neccessarily. Just the potential difference is a sharp kick or a long push. So remember that your shoulder isnt an effective chrono or chamber pressure transducer.

Have you noticed pressure signs when firing MG ammo through your .50 BMG? If so, it may be a problem with your rifle, or a specific lot of ammo that was out of spec due to manufacturer error, or was improperly stored. Do you handload all your .50 BMG ammo? Or do you buy it from some manufacturer/relaoder? If so, they could be selling you short on powder, and claiming that the surplus ammo is too hot for your rifle just to scam you.

All the surplus ammo was designed to be shot in a machine gun, and the army uses the same MG ammo in their barrett semi autos, and most casual shooters use surplus .50 BMG (machine gun ammo) in their bolt actions. Not everyone wants to pay $4 per round for match grade .50 BMG (which, to my knowledge, is not any weaker/slower than the surplus ammo, and might even be hotter in some cases). And getting set up to reload the stuff is a pretty big investment... I would reload if I owned a .50, but since I dont, I just buy linked MG ammo from the gunshow whenever I want to do some big bore plinking with my buddy's AR50.

For more info on the 50 stuff go to the biggerhammer board. They can inform you with the details better than I can.
Did yall discuss this over there? Do you have a link?

#14 ·
Review- Ammunition store sucks

Purchased 230 grain Federal HST 45 ACP and was very disappointed. Although they had fast shipping with delivery in 72 hrs, it arrived at my door soaking wet. Furthermore the bullets had obvious signs of rust. Clearly more than 72 hrs worth of damage. Have purchased Federal HST from several others without issue, HST has always been pristine ammo up until now. Usually others wrap their inner boxes in shrink wrap to protect their product, but ammunition store did not. Furthermore their customer service sucks. Did not answer my multiple emails for over a week. Do not buy from these losers. Suggest you buy from Eagle Eye Guns, Ammunition Depot, Target Store USA, Ammo to go. These other vendors have always treated me right.

#15 ·
Never again

I placed an order with the ammunition store.com on April 10, 2020 for 10 boxes of wolf 7.62x39 ammo which was twice the price it normally is figured there was a high demand for ammo because of the beer flu plandemic. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks to ship. I received an email from them May 1st 2020 stating my order had been shipped and I should receive it by may 4th 2020 upon contacting fedx i found out that the order was not shipped and it wasn't even called in for pick up. this company has poor customer to no customer service they don't answer their phones and don't reply to e-mails. be very careful dealing with these nefarious people.

#20 ·
So we're bored already. Also not motivated enough to start home improvement projects.

#21 ·
Mr. Moore, I have been much the same way. I figured when this started that I would do a lot of stuff I wanted to do for a while around the house, but just started some yesterday. If anything, over the last Month or more (Since March 16 for me) the projects that I keep back burnering have piled up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.