Gun Hub

Gun Hub (https://gunhub.com/forums.php)
-   M1 Garand (https://gunhub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   "Tanker" question (https://gunhub.com/showthread.php?t=58868)

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 12:49 PM

"Tanker" question
 
I just bought a Federal Ordnance 308 "Tanker" with a SA receiver. The guy said it was produced around 1992. (private party). Looks fresh and no sign of being a "bastardized" M1 .06. I paid $950 for it and 100 rounds plus 8 clips.
Any thoughts about this? The heel has the Fed. Ord. serial number and company stampings. :-?

Snake45 05-21-2013 02:16 PM

SA Receiver? I take it you mean Springfield Armory? Which one, the "real" government one, or the commecial one?

I'd examine it VERY closely for any signs of the receiver being rewelded, as many FO rifles were. If it seems to be original and intact, I'd say shoot it and see how it works.

I'd love to own one. I absolutely love the way they handle. Feels perfect to me. Have never actually shot one, though, more's the pity.

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 02:33 PM

How can you tell? I'm assuming its a commercial one. It doesn't appear to have been "pieced" together. Did FO make these as factory original 308's? Or are all FO's re-assembled M1 .06's?

phantom4570 05-21-2013 03:23 PM

Look at the tool marks in the oprod track. They should all be consistent from end to end. If there is a smooth spot and tool marks with a different orientation on either side of the smooth spot then it is likely a reweld

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom4570 (Post 531283)
Look at the tool marks in the oprod track. They should all be consistent from end to end. If there is a smooth spot and tool marks with a different orientation on either side of the smooth spot then it is likely a reweld

Thanks..I'll check it out...do you know if FO made any production ones?

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom4570 (Post 531283)
Look at the tool marks in the oprod track. They should all be consistent from end to end. If there is a smooth spot and tool marks with a different orientation on either side of the smooth spot then it is likely a reweld

I cant seem to get the trigger assembly out. The guard wont pull down to release it. Anyway, on the track side (the left side) in the track there are some swirls in the track that stop mid-way.
Is this what you mean?

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 04:40 PM

Ok, its so "new" I had to use a pry to break open the trigger guard and it released. I examined the op-rod and its consistent in its machine markings all the length of the rod.
The barrel is stamped SA .308 with a large letter "T" preceding it.
The previous owner only fired 50-60 rounds through it so it's all very tight still.

phantom4570 05-21-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratfink2u (Post 531286)
I examined the op-rod and its consistent in its machine markings all the length of the rod.

You need to examine the track the oprod rides in.

dfariswheel 05-21-2013 07:25 PM

Fulton Armory has some good info and pictures on how to detect a receiver that was scrapped, then two parts were welded together to make rifle:

Fulton Armory FAQ: How can I tell if an M1 or M14 receiver is a "reweld"?

Bluntly put, Fed Ord did not have a great reputation for their put-together M1 rifles, and MUCH less a good rep on their "Tanker" rifles.
They bought roughly cast receivers from someone and built complete rifles with them. The cast receivers were substandard at best.
These cast receivers will have Fed Ord markings on the rear of the receiver, they aren't scrapped receivers that were welded together.
Not all of them were bad, but enough were that most people who knew about them shied away.
This is one of those "At your own risk" buys. If you have a problem, tough, Fed Ord is long gone, you're on your own.

WaltGraham 05-21-2013 07:30 PM

I remember "RatFink"...

Snake45 05-21-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltGraham (Post 531289)
I remember "RatFink"...

And guess what, Revell is going to reissue the original Roth Rat Fink model kit this year....;)

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake45 (Post 531291)
And guess what, Revell is going to reissue the original Roth Rat Fink model kit this year....;)

That's kewl...I think Ed Roths widow is still alive..

Ratfink2u 05-21-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfariswheel (Post 531288)
Fulton Armory has some good info and pictures on how to detect a receiver that was scrapped, then two parts were welded together to make rifle:

Fulton Armory FAQ: How can I tell if an M1 or M14 receiver is a "reweld"?

Bluntly put, Fed Ord did not have a great reputation for their put-together M1 rifles, and MUCH less a good rep on their "Tanker" rifles.
They bought roughly cast receivers from someone and built complete rifles with them. The cast receivers were substandard at best.
These cast receivers will have Fed Ord markings on the rear of the receiver, they aren't scrapped receivers that were welded together.
Not all of them were bad, but enough were that most people who knew about them shied away.
This is one of those "At your own risk" buys. If you have a problem, tough, Fed Ord is long gone, you're on your own.

Good to know...mine doesn't show any of these signs but I haven't shot it yet...we shall see. Thanks for all your help!

dfariswheel 05-22-2013 08:53 PM

I made a little spare money in high school doing Rat Fink tee shirts and posters.
I also built the original issue Revell Rat Fink model back then.

It was re-issued about 10 or 15 years ?? ago.
Glad a new generation of modelers will have the chance to assemble one.

Ratfink2u 05-22-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfariswheel (Post 531332)
I made a little spare money in high school doing Rat Fink tee shirts and posters.
I also built the original issue Revell Rat Fink model back then.

It was re-issued about 10 or 15 years ?? ago.
Glad a new generation of modelers will have the chance to assemble one.

Big Daddy Roth started out pin stripping cars for pocket change in CA back in the 50's..

Ratfink2u 07-28-2013 05:32 PM

It shoots great, no trouble and is very accurate...or maybe its just me:p
I noticed the word "Tanker" is stamped on the receiver and all the internals are stamped S.A.

Orlando 08-11-2013 05:07 AM

Ratfink ,any pics of your Tanker?

Heres my Short Garand, not a Tanker but a BM59 Clone. Its a blast to shoot although the folding stock isnt the most comfortable
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Picture675.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Picture677.jpg

Ratfink2u 08-11-2013 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
WOW! That's a nice piece! funny how age changes the meaning behind that phrase...:mrgreen:
Heres some fuzzy pics of my "tanker" I've got a guy who wants to buy this M1 badly...I'm thinking seriously about selling it to him. He offered a grand for the Garand...

bearcat6 08-11-2013 08:04 AM

Orlando, Who made your BM59 clone? I have one made by Golden State Arms. It says on it under license from Beretta.

Orlando 08-11-2013 08:13 AM

Tim Shufflin at Shuffs Parkerizing made it. His attention to detail is top notch.
Shuff's Parkerizing and Military Restorations
He has a forum with a section devoted to them, come on over and join in.
Battle Tested
He also builds his own version of a Tanker called the Mini G in mag fed and without mag
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2020 Gun Hub. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.